History

1839

After 200 years of the Robinson family working in local pottery businesses, J.B Robinson buys a round box business in Chesterfield.

1845-1847

25 people are employed at Robinson & Sons in Chesterfield. Square boxes made from chip and pasteboard and round willow boxes for ointments are introduced and Robinson diversify into surgical dressings.

1860-1878

Weaving business and Gamgee production

1885-1890

Gauze tissues, sanitary towels and antiseptic dressings are introduced and the New Factory opens at Wheatbridge, Chesterfield

1892

Charles Portland Robinson introduces Folding boxes line to the company and installs Robinson’s own lithographic printer.

1895

Cellosene wadding

1907-1913

Auto Gluer (from USA) installed and cleaning wool and capsicum tissue introduced.

1918

First issue of “The Link”

1921

Portland Works built and is the most advanced carton manufacturing and printing facility in the country.

1924

One of Robinson’s most successful early products, the Little John Drum, is invented by John Bradbury Robinson II.

1929-1930

Photo-litho plant purchased and now with 1000 employees the latest products include dressings for antiseptic surgery and disposable sanitary towels.

1938-1939

Spiral tubes winding machine ordered for Little John Drums and Robinson celebrates its centenary with a company trip to London. 3700 employees enjoy a day of sight-seeing and a Grand Variety Concert at the Albert Hall.

1949

Robinson buy patent for the first ever disposable nappy system, and therefore the Paddi and Cosifits brands are born.

1954

Production of Quaker boxes reaches 43.5 million per annum (33% of the carton business).

1955

Production of blended cotton wool starts.

1956

Smarties tube

1957-1974

Robinson purchase their first injection moulding machine (Churchill) for Smarties tube cap. In 1974 I.E White Plastic Ltd at Kirkby is acquired and the injection moulding department is moved there.

1975-1988

Injection blow moulding machine purchased and situated at Kirkby-in-Ashfield site, Robinson installs the latest robotic machinery to aid manufacture and the now named Robinson Packaging – Plastic Products is the first part of the Group to achieve the BS5750 standard.

1990

CAD/CAM innovation suite installed and half a million pounds is invested into new injection moulding machines.

2005

Robinson expands into Eastern European with the purchase of the Lodz factory site in Poland.

2011-2014

Sale of spiral wound Paperbox business to Sonoco and Robinson acquires Madrox in Warsaw